Make sure to check out the new site at music-rag.com

2.23.2014

It's Not My Fault I'm Happy

       Passion Pit supplies us with the most brutally honest songs of any popular artist right now but there is such a focus on their 'big' hits that their other amazing songs tend to be glossed over. I cannot emphasize enough how amazing Passion Pit was in a poorly lit bar in 2010 compared to their seemingly uninspired performance to a large crowd in 2011 and a concert in 2013 which had far, far too many 'fans' sitting during the performance (it is never okay to sit through Angelakos' performances). If you ever have the chance, see the band perform in a smaller venue with more dedicated fans, because it will make the difference between an amazing concert that sticks with you and just another in a line of 'okay' performances.
       The beat is steady and supports a swirling melody which will circle around your head for a while, but it's the lyrics that are truly amazing. Lines like "I know that it's always something, I'm just working with what I've been given, it's not my fault, I'm happy, don't call me crazy, I'm happy", "your past lingers like rain clouds, casting shadows below, I could live with so many burdens, I'd take all your hope and yearning, but there's no one I'd let take me for their petty little woes" and a chorus which states "it's not right, how am I the only one who sees us fight? What are we? Who are they? Who says those bastards don't deserve to pay? Well, it's the numbers, we don't stand a chance, so long as they're around, you're just another song and dance, it's not fair, still I'm the only one who seems to care" are all perfection.
"It's Not My Fault I'm Happy" Passion Pit
- E

No comments:

Post a Comment