Make sure to check out the new site at music-rag.com

9.11.2013

Wrecking Ball

       Every time I see a negative comment on this video, there are twenty more praising it's maturity, because it's gorgeous.
       I would never have the balls to go nude, so props to Miley and stop hating on her so much. It's Miley Cyrus, a former Disney child star; if the worst she does is a raunchy (and remarkably un-classy) VMA performance and a music video which features nudity for the sake of art, then there's really no need to get upset over her 'antics'. The fact is, she's only twenty, she's working towards making a lasting career and, while she may have gone a little overboard in her attempt to create a clear demarcation between Cyrus and Montana at this year's VMA's, she has more than redeemed herself with the remarkable maturity which is present in "Wrecking Ball". Cyrus courageously shares her raw emotions and bares her pain in the most public of ways; it's heartbreaking and only makes the song that much better.
       At times, the video feels almost too personal to watch (in particular, when those close-ups of her falling tears are staring you in the face), yet I can't look away, because Cyrus is finally starting to come around and link her need to separate her current career from her child-star days with an actual art form that celebrates vulnerability and trust and confidence all in one swing (ha. puns...) and I find myself oddly proud of her. The song is amazing and the video is put together gorgeously; you call it overt sexuality, I call it unashamed vulnerability and emotional destruction. All I know is that, when the video begins, with tears running down Cyrus' face and "we clawed, we chained, our hearts in vain...don't you ever say, I just walked away, I will always want you" being shared like an intimate conversation, I'm sitting here thinking "I need a tissue and I need a hug".
       Check out the video and decide for yourself, but I love it and I now find myself anxiously awaiting the October 4th release of Bangerz (despite it's kind of ridiculous name).
"Wrecking Ball" Miley Cyrus
- E

No comments:

Post a Comment